[SPARCbook] "Error writing VTOC"

Patrick Arnoux parnoux at condor.orli.com
Sat Sep 30 14:42:43 CDT 2000

> I think I've done something wrong. After performing the "dd" command I
> noticed the driver manufacturer and partition information had been
> overwritten with the source drive's information. I thought about it, and
-snip-
> "warning: error writing VTOC

If the source drive and the destination drives are of the same geometry
then "dd" is fine to do a sector by sector copy of the drive using
slice "3" or "c" depending on your vintage.

If however they are not, and/or the partition layout is different:
	partition the new drive as needed
	mount the root partition of new drive as "/mnt"
	mount sub partitions "/mnt/usr" "/mnt/var" "/mnt/export" ...
	cd /
	find usr var export [any additional ... here] -depth -print | cpio -pdm /mnt
	find . -xdev -depth -print | cpio -pdm /mnt

	"xdev" prevents find from crossing mount points and thus do a recursive descent
	into "/mnt"

	installboot

off you go

Patrick