[SPARCbook] "Error writing VTOC"

Keith Howick howick at siliconmetrics.com
Sat Sep 30 13:40:17 CDT 2000

Ken, Bill,

I think I've done something wrong. After performing the "dd" command I
noticed the driver manufacturer and partition information had been
overwritten with the source drive's information. I thought about it, and
decided to re-format the disk and try again. However, the format command
posts an error,

"warning: error writing VTOC
Note: a PC-format label cannot be overwritten
Note: if this disk contains a PC label it must
Note be removed before being labelled with format

Then I get five of the following

Warning: error reading backup label.
Illegal request during read: block (#)

Can you offer any advice? I seem to have dug myself a hole.

Thanks,

-Keith Howick