[SPARCbook] idle swap zeroing..

Julian Coleman jdc at coris.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 01:51:50 CDT 2000

> I have a Sparcbook, and, despite what my power management settings are
> (sol2.6) the hard disk never spins down for more than a second or two.

Not sure about this ... I haven't really run Solaris on my Sparcbook.

> Then I read a message on the Sparc port NetBSD list, about zeroing the
> swap file (page file) durring idle time.  Might that be what is causeing
> my problem?  If so, how can I turn it off, should I want to (I'd guess
> some programs may have problems with this?).

At a guess this is concerning the recently added code (in NetBSD) which
zeros pages (in memory) when the processor is otherwise idle.  I don't know
if Solaris does the same thing, but I'm fairly sure that this wouldn't affect
the swap partition anyway.  Can you see which processes are running (ps -ef)
and see if any are accessing the disk?

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/