[SPARCbook] TADPOLE-RDI NEWSLETTER-August 2000

Emily Rougier emilyr at tadpolerdi.com
Tue Sep 5 18:51:44 CDT 2000

TADPOLE-RDI NEWSLETTER  August 2000
Portable UNIX Workstations & Servers for a Mobile World
www.tadpolerdi.com

CONTENTS:

1.	Tadpole Technology / Tadpole-RDI In The News
2.	Tadpole-RDI User Story
3.	Tech Tip of the Month
4.	 Tadpole-RDI Offers Technology "Trade-Up" Programs
5.	Security Cable Now Available for the UltraBookIIi and VoyagerIIi Product
Families.
6.	Come See us at the Veritas Worldwide Users Conference 2000,
7.	About Tadpole-RDI

1.	Tadpole Technology / Tadpole-RDI In The News

Marcel Gagn from UnixReview.com reviews Tadpole-RDI's UltraBookIIi

"It's time to give the folks at Tadpole-RDI a call and ask them about their
UltraBookIIi SPARC notebook. Before you do, though, ask me. What is it
like to work with? Is it fast? Easy to use? I've been taking the UltraBookIIi
out for a test drive, and I'm ready to spill the beans.

After working with my demo UltraBookIIi for just over two weeks, I found
it to be a rock-solid, capable performer. For the mobile professional working
with Sun Solaris, I definitely recommend it."
 				Marcel Gagn  UnixReview.com

For the complete version of this review, please visit http://www.unixreview.com/reviews/articles/hardware/0008rh.shtml

2.	Tadpole-RDI User Story

A commonly heard complaint from UNIX users is the inability to perform
live on-site software demonstrations without true UNIX portability. Gordon
Lo from KLA Tencor finds that the Tadpole-RDI UltraBookIIi solves this
problem. He states that "The UltraBookIIi/Solaris laptop makes our job
easier. We don't need to carry the traditional UNIX box to a customer site
for our software demo. The UltraBookIIi Laptop is light and very portable.
It is a wonderful product for our Applications/Marketing team."

KLA Tencor was formed through the 1997 merger of KLA Instruments and Tencor,
the industry segment's two biggest players is a maker of tools that identify
semiconductor defects during
manufacturing. KLA-Tencor Corporation's headquarters are in San Jose, California.

3.	Tech Tip of the Month

Problem: Floppy/cdrom Device Says "device busy"
Solution: If you are running a version of Solaris 2.x, the Volume Manager
(vold) is probably holding the device open. You can access a floppy through
the volume manager by typing "volcheck" and looking in /floppy/*.  CD-ROMs
don't require volcheck; just insert one and the volume manager should automatically
notice, and mount it under /cdrom/*.  Unmount by typing "eject floppy"
or "eject cdrom" respectively. The Volume Manager can be configured by
editing /etc/vold.conf.

If you need to access a floppy or CD-ROM special device, however, you may
need to turn off the volume manager. As root, type "/etc/init.d/volmgt
stop". To turn it back on, type "/etc/init.d/volmgt start".

4.	Tadpole-RDI Offers Technology "Trade-Up" Programs

"SPARC'd" by customer demand, Tadpole-RDI has extended its trade-up program
giving owners of UltraBookI, SPARCbook and PowerLite systems the opportunity
to upgrade their computing systems to the latest technology. For details
on the attractive trade-in offers please email ams at tapolerdi.com

5.	Security Cable Now Available for the UltraBookIIi and VoyagerIIi Product
Families.

This security cable utilizes 6.5 feet of cut-resistant, galvanized steel
cable to attach your Tadpole-RDI portable workstation or server to any
secure object. All UltraBookIIi and VoyagerIIi models now ship with the
lock slot feature.

For more information on UltraBookIIi and VoyagerIIi, please visit us at
http://www.tadpolerdi.com/ultrabookii/spec.html and http://www.tadpolerdi.com/voyager/spec.html

6.	Come See us at the Veritas Worldwide Users Conference 2000,

Veritas
Booth#110
Oct 23-26, 2000
Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas

AFCEA Western Conference
Booth#441
Jan 23-25, 2001
San Diego Convention Center, San Diego

Networld Interop
Booth#8723
May 8-10, 2001
Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas

AFCEA 55th International Convention
Booth# 333 or 331
June 5-7, 2001
Washington D.C. Convention Center, Washington, D.C.

7.	About Tadpole-RDI

Background
Tadpole-RDI is the global leader in the design and manufacture of portable
computing solutions for the mobile computing professional.

Inherent Value
Our product line allows for seamless selling and service provision to your
potential or current customers. More time spent on mission critical activities
increases your probability for success. Put all your energies towards success,
not towards packing, shipping, and repacking desktops.

Commitment
Tadpole-RDI is committed to being the highest quality mobile computing
solutions provider for industry professionals across the globe.

All trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective
owners.

"Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, StarOffice and the StarOffice logo
are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the
United States and other countries."

For product inquiries:
sales at tadpolerdi.com
800-734-5483

If you do not wish to receive further editions of this newsletter, please
send an email to emilyr at tadpolerdi.com with "Remove Me Now" in the subject
line.

For more information on Tadpole-RDI please visit our web site:
http://www.tadpolerdi.com
sales at tadpolerdi.com
Toll Free (US): 800-734-5483
Phone: 760-929-0992