[SPARCbook] keyboard keystroke loss?

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Wed May 31 16:39:06 CDT 2000

"Mark G. Thomas" wrote:

> I had a 3GX with a failing pointer on the keyboard.  When the pointer/mouse
> failed completely, I then started losing keystrokes on all keys typed.  My
> conclusion was that the failed pointer was generating a lot of hardware
> interrupts or something similar, and interfering with the keyboard controller
> processor's ability to reliably register keystrokes.
>
> Replacing the keyboard with one with a good pointer/mouse resolved the
> dropped keystroke problem.
>
> That was before the Ross deal, so replacing the keyboard was a $650
> operation with Tadpole/RDI.....

That's what I was looking for - so it is a failed pointer.  Yep, makes sense.
Thanks much.

I'm in search of another keyboard pointer from any thinkpad, but at $75 a pop
for a Thinkpad keyboard to perform two hours of hard labor on, yuck...  I've got
an idea that may prove useful.

If you look at the hardware SAQ, I was kicking this idea around in my head for
a while.  ( http://www.sunder.net/sparcbook/index.html#mouse2 )  I tested the
dead pointer (hence the notes on the white/orange pic) and measured it.  I believe
that the pointer is resistance based, which basically turns it into a super tiny
analog joystick.  Here's the rub:

Playstation controllers have nice (bigger) analog joystick assemblies in them.
I was thinking of ripping one out of those and attaching it externally to the
side of the Sparcbook, say lower part of the right edge - if I can find the
right resistances and way to snake out the pointer cable.   The problem is
that these are X Y potentiometers.  That is one pot handles X, the other
handles Y.

But, the IBM pointer shares two directions together.  That is, left and down
share the same common connection, right and down share one line.

So my solution, once I get the resistances right is to turn the joystick 45
degrees over...

I'll post up pix when I get around to doing it.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\