[SPARCbook] First Thoughts: Tadpole/RDI UltraBook

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jun 26 18:02:24 CDT 2000

Big screen - check.

Fast CPU - check.

Large HD - check.

Plenty RAM - check.

Pointer - whoops.

Case - whoops.

3 Fans - whoops.

Battery life -N/A.

Weight - N/A.

And it only costs $10K (I made that up ;^)...

To me, there is something charming about the "old" sparcbooks,
if I wanted "absolute speed" I would go Intel Pentium, since that
is where the laptops go to "darn" fast (and only sip at the battery
to boot).

A machine that gives off enough heat to need two/three fans *can't*
be a battery miser. This baby probably dissipates more heat than my
Tecra 8000 PII/266 (which drops to PII/133 on batteries under
windows)...

I wonder where the win is for these units over intel-based laptops
running Solaris/Linux/other OS? If you don't need binary compatibility,
what reason is left?

Just curious...

Ken