[SPARCbook] First Thoughts: Tadpole/RDI UltraBook

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jun 26 15:47:49 CDT 2000

Just got the Ultrabook review unit in.  First thoughts:

	Nice 14.1" 1024x768 LCD screen.  256 colors simultaneously.
	Creator3D framebuffer, 128mb RAM, 170mhz CPU, 10gig IDE HD.
	Based around a variant of the Sun Ultra AX OEM motherboard.

	- I hate the trackpad.  Always have hated trackpads; I'm using
	  a mechanical T5 mouse for eveverything.
	- Wouldnt really call this a "laptop" - more of a 'portable
	  workstation' - I havent tried to run it off batteries yet, but
	  the machine itself has 2 fans in back and the power supply even
	  has a fan.
	- WAY less sturdy than the SPARCbooks - this is a plastic shell, etc.

On the other hand, I could probably use this as a primary/only machine if I
had to....

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |