[SPARCbook] Display problem with Netscape 4.73 under Solaris 2.6

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Sat Jun 24 09:02:33 CDT 2000

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Rainer Canavan wrote:

> OK, I've found the guilty one: It's 105284-33 Motif 1.2.7: Runtime library
> patch. I can install/uninstall it, and the display problems come and go
> away. All other patches from both Tadpole and Solaris 2.6 are installed.
> Now, the question is: is this a Netscape, Tadpole, or Solaris bug?
> I don't know what version of motif Netscape was originally linked
> against, but that's most probably be something from Solaris 2.5.1. It's also
> interesting to see that some people seem to have this problem, and others
> not.  What versions of 105284 do you have installed?

How about the text from the release notes? It states:

Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6:
          The Solaris 2.4 Communicator is dynamically linked with the X and
          Motif libraries. If the Motif dynamic libraries are not properly
          installed, Communicator will exit with this error:

          ld.so.1: netscape: fatal: libXm.so.3: can't open file: errno=2

          Installing Motif dynamic libraries will get Communicator working.

          If Communicator exits on Solaris 2.5.1 with a message similar to the
          above saying that it can't open libresolv.so.2, you will need to
          install Sun patch 103663 (for SPARC) or 103664 (for x86).

          If you have problems running the Solaris 2.4 (SPARC) executable on
          Solaris 2.5.1, a native Solaris 2.5.1 version is available which
          may solve the problems.

          On Solaris 2.6, you may experience problems with fonts not
          rendering properly.  To fix this, add the following lines to your
          $HOME/.xinitrc file:

              xset +fp /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
              xset fp rehash

          CDE users on 2.6 will need to add the first of the two lines above
          to their $HOME/.dt/sessions/sessionetc (be sure the permissions on
          this file are 755), then exit and restart.

Awkwardly enough it makes me think I need the solaris 2.4 binaries and not
the solaris 2.5.1 binaries on a solaris 2.6 system. How ever it does not
make sense to me at all.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Quoting this tagline is illegal! (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html)