[SPARCbook] Upgrade 640x480 screen?

Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 07:59:53 CDT 2000

On 08-Jun-00 Chris Powell wrote:

> Has anyone tried upgrading the SPARCbook 9.4" 640x480 screen to a
> larger 10.4" 800x600 by using a screen from a donor PC laptop? Are
> there any motherboard, OpenBoot or magnesium case changes? Can any
> higher resolution screens be used by the SPARCbook 3?

If this is a plain S3 (and not an S3XP/GS/GX/TX) then you will have
problems.  I don't think there was ever an 800x600 variant of the S3, and
it doesn't have the same base board + cpu board build as the GX type -
everything is on one board.  The display chip is a P9000, which is older
than the P9100 in the GX et. al.

As for upgrading the later machines, I can't offer any advice - not for any
other reason than I've never tried it, and don't pretend to understand
how the TFT video system works.

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/