[SPARCbook] Upgrading GS to GX?

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Mon Jun 5 21:57:34 CDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Rainer Canavan wrote:

> Well, now I know that I probably don't need to change the hostid. It still
> works with the NVRam deleted. It thinks it's a 3XP, but the Display
> still works perfectly.

Wait, which CPU did you put in which which display? Just so we're clear on
what happened, let us know the configuration...

> Well, the upgrade kindof failed ;-(. Something's
> sending out small white smoke signs in the lower left corner, no matter
> whaich cpu board I use, plus, it doesn't like the external power supply
> anymore. Otherwise, with the 110MHz CPU, the system did work as expected.

Lower left corner sounds like where the battery circuit connects.  Might
be not too hard to fix if you can figure out what.  That would also
explain it not liking the external power supply.

I'd be very careful to make sure the smoke isn't coming out of the battery
pack - these tend to explode. :( I know you're saying IC emitting smoke
below, but make sure it's the IC and not something under it.  If it is an
IC, repairs will likely require good soldering skills, perhaps surface
mount soldering tools.

It is possible that the 3GX CPU board is somewhat bad in that it works,
but has a short, or draws too much current and stresses other components,
etc.  It could also be a screw dropped in unnoticed, or something else
shorted it...

You've probably already done this, but take it apart and blow out any
dust, and check for loose screws or other things... :(

> That SPARCbook is probably fried. The ICs emitting the smoke are between
> D22 and D23... not visible in any pictures of the SAQ...

> I don't have that "converted" sticker in my keyboards, just a regular
> Part-No. 600515-US one (also: 17-JAN 1997 (the other one is SEP-1996) and
> KTC Model U04056US).

This might prove useful.

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------