[SPARCbook] Upgrading GS to GX?

Rainer Canavan canavan at cs.bonn.edu
Mon Jun 5 14:11:06 CDT 2000

> Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems unless you have commercial software
> that registers itself to your hostid.  In which case, you would have to
> move the NVRAM. :)

Well, now I know that I probably don't need to change the hostid. It still
works with the NVRam deleted. It thinks it's a 3XP, but the Display
still works perfectly. Well, the upgrade kindof failed ;-(. Something's
sending out small white smoke signs in the lower left corner, no matter
whaich cpu board I use, plus, it doesn't like the external power supply
anymore. Otherwise, with the 110MHz CPU, the system did work as expected.
That SPARCbook is probably fried. The ICs emitting the smoke are between
D22 and D23... not visible in any pictures of the SAQ...

> Also the keyboard in the 3GX said "S3XP/US" as well.  I did get something
> interesting out of the 3GX keyboard.  There's a second sticker that says
> "Product Converted to 600515-US by Keytronic 1996"

I don't have that "converted" sticker in my keyboards, just a regular
Part-No. 600515-US one (also: 17-JAN 1997 (the other one is SEP-1996) and
KTC Model U04056US).

Rainer