[SPARCbook] Upgrading GS to GX?

Rainer Canavan canavan at cs.bonn.edu
Mon Jun 5 01:51:35 CDT 2000

Hi,

I just recieved a (broken) SPARCbook 3GX to replace the display of my
3GS, and I was wondering if I could replace the CPU, once I have that thing
open - which is a lot easier than I thought, as one really only has to
remove the screws and unplug a few wires.

The quarz is on the board with CPU+memory, so this is not a problem, but
I wonder if I have to change the hostid, like one has to do when upgrading
a SPARCClassic X to something that really talks to SCSI devices.

I'd guess that the bus multiplier is fixed by the CPU board, so I'm not
expecting problems in that direction. What\s the bus clock anyway for the
SPARCBooks?

Rainer