[SPARCbook] Display problem with Netscape 4.73 under Solaris 2.6

Rainer Canavan canavan at cs.bonn.edu
Mon Jun 5 01:20:58 CDT 2000

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >     I have installed Netscape Communicator 4.73 on my SPARCBook 3GX
> >     running
> > Solaris 2.6, but I am having a problem - when I call up a web site, the
> > initial screen appears fine, but if I scroll down, the display is
> > jumbled.
> >     By jumbled I mean, for example, the lines of text that were
> >     previously covered up
> > are now displaying a few times in succession,and sometimes over other
> > lines. It is as if the CPU/display can not keep up with the scroll
> > request and just tries it's best to "throw up" what it can.
> >
> >     There must be a usable version on Netscape around for SPARC/Solaris,
> >     does
> > anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Ity seems that netscape 4.73 does have this behaviour if it is short on
> memory. It does this on W95 as well if memory runs short.
>
> Hugo.

Ok, just if anyone still cares: It's something from the 2.6_Recommended
Patchset that breaks Netscape. 4.73 works fine with bare Solaris 2.6 or
the tadpole patches installed, but shows the scrolling problem as soon
as the Recommended Patchset is installed. I'll try backing out the patches
one by one when I get home today...

Rainer