[SPARCbook] (no subject)

Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 03:56:32 CDT 2000

On 26-Jul-00 Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Raymond Lau wrote:
>
>> I am replacing the original 2G IDE drive with the IBM DADA-26480
>> 6.4G IDE drive.  When I tried to installed the solaris 2.6 by cdrom,
>> it showed that it is
>>
>> ADTX-AXSITS5324011D-AD60 cy 13422 alt 2 hd 15 sec 63
>>
>> But I cannot label the drive, it gave me the following error message:
>>
>> Warning: error setting drive geometry
>> Warning: error writing VTOC
>> Warning: no backup labels
>> Write label failed
>
> The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps a misaligned cable. or a
> faulty drive. But it would be better if someone who owns such a drive
> could share his views on this matter with us.

I can't be sure this is the problem, but sometimes a drive that has been
formatted for DOS gets disk label problems.  Try going into format, then
analyze, and then purge.  You can run it over the whole drive, but you do
need to destroy the contents of the first few and last few cylinders (the
existing label, and the backup label (if any)).

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/