[SPARCbook] Patches (any help for SB2 users anywhere?)

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Feb 7 16:15:03 CST 2000

> Also, how can one get info on maintenance codes for bringing up a
> spare machine that is otherwise dead.  I contacted the English end
> of the firm, an was not able to find anyone with SB2 experience on
> the ``maintenance codes''.  I have the CD's and the dongle adapter
> scsi cable, so can boot from cdrom, IFF I can get past those silly
> maintenance codes.

One fellow suggested low-level formatting the scsi hd's in the SB2,
on a pc.  I was thinking something like one of my VAXen would do,
since they have a rather nice rom low-level formatter that will
fairly well format anything hooked up by reading the drive prom info.

Anyone have any insights as to whether or not a SparcBook 2 will
boot via cd if it has clean factory low-level drives, as received
from a manufacturer?  Long shot, but maybe worth trying.  I really
would like to get that parts box up, rather than parting it out,
since it has a pair of 350mb drives.  Surely, there is some way
to reinstall Solaris 1.1.1 B1.1 on it, off CD, from scratch?

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob