[SPARCbook] Patches

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Mon Feb 7 14:37:12 CST 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Jeff wrote:

> Hey, what patches do I need to get off of tadpole's site for a new
> install of solaris?

SparcBook F.A.Q.

   .4. What OS does the SparcBook 3 run and do I need to purchase from
   Tadpole?

   Last change: 19991015

   The SparcBook 3 will run Sunos 4.1.3-u1 and any Solaris version up to
   Solaris 2.6! Not all of the original distributions from SUN will work
   fine. But apparantly Solaris v2.6 (5/98) seems to install fine. But
   note that you still need the add-on's listed below.

   The Tadpole version does have some add-on's to pause and resume the
   SparcBook, the Fax program or the PCMCIA drivers but rumour has it
   that legal owners of Solaris 2.6 can get a copy per FTP.

   One can download the additional packages required to let Solaris 2.6
   run on your sparc book from:
   ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/

   The file that contains all of them is:
   ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/TTI_Solaris_2.6_packag
   es.tar.Z

   However this does not include the NCE graphical utilities. These are
   not around at present times but may be available in the future.
   (Unlikely for Solaris 2.6 now that Solaris 7 is out.)

   The solaris commands to use instead of NCE are:

     * battery (for battery management),
     * locations/chloc/rmloc/saveloc/lsloc (for the network location
       stuff),
     * diskid (for disk management),
     * fbconfig (for monitor setup),
     * kbconfig (keyboard),
     * msconfig (mouse),
     * lsformat (format floppy),
     * syshw (for other hardware tuning),

   Checkout their respective manual pages for more details.

   Alternatives are Linux and NetBSD. (See also: Q: .12., Q: .14. and Q:
   .13.)

   .7. What about PCMCIA (PCcard) cards for the Sparcbook3?

   It can take 2 type I/II or 1 type III cards. Just about any modem card
   will work (so you can get your 56K connection :). But watch out with
   hard disk, some early (maybe still) hard disk cards had incompatable
   firmware. (A Western Digital 40M didn't work, but the Maxtor 170M and
   Eiger 340M did).

   In order to work well with disks you must at least load the T030004-02
   patch.

   Among the known PCMCIA cards that are reported working are: 3C589B
   (device: pcelx) and 3C589C (device: pcelx)

   .11. What about patches with Solaris 2.6?

   Last change: 19991015

   The following list of patches (with URL) should help you out.

   From sunsolve.sun.com/pub/patches/

     * Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) Recommended patches (~ 19MB)

   From: ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/

     * T030000-01 Fixed 16 bit X server problem (bus error)
     * T030001-01 System may hang while PCMCIA device is present
     * T030002-02 Enhanced generic power management features
     * T030003-01 Changing PCMCIA cards does not work well
     * T030004-02 PCMCIA ata disk
     * T030005-01 Formating PCMCIA disks results in core dumps
     * T030006-01 Disks won't keep spundown very long
     * T030007-04 'Spurious Interrupt' messages on console
     * T030008-01 nitloc fails when TZ contains a / (slash)
     * T030009-02 US Robotics Modems do not work in SPARCbooks
     * T030014-01 Fixes for 16/32 bit Xserver problems

   This might seem kinda obvious, but ..... The T03000xxx patches should
   be installed AFTER installing the Tadpole Packages.

I suggest you get all of these.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!