[SPARCbook] Help - THANKS

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 14 08:10:31 CST 2000

Thanks to sunder at sunder.net, I have "bash" installed and working and
Netscape working properly as well; and thanks to Russell, I have
downloaded a lot of interesting information from http://www.kempston.net which I
will use to try to get the modem working; in addition I found out
in these downloaded files that the PATH variable is defined at boot by the
file ".dtprofile" located in the home directory.

 As I do not have my laptop here; it is at home; I hope that this is
correct because I would like to modify the default path.

Does ".dtprofile" also contain the selection of which shell to use at
boot?  I would like to use the bash shell exclusively.  Thanks

Oscar Farah

Remember to select port c in the Admintool when you set up your
communications
package.  Use zsmon and 38400 baud.  Use PPP and dialup tips at
www.tadpole.com/support-trdi/techtips/ except where they  disagree with
Solaris info at http://www.kempston.net

Oscar.G.Farah at census.gov wrote:

> - I did try to run 'bash' but it was unknown to the machine. I assumed
> that it would be there since it took forever to install Solaris 2.6!
With
> the command 'echo $SHELL' I discovered that I was running sh. Thanks for
> the help; I will try to find bash at the URL suggested.
>
> - I am curious to know what browser most of the SparcBook owners use.
> Solaris 2.6 has a browser and StarOffice 5.2, which I installed but have
> not tried yet, seems to have a browser as well.  I downloaded Netscape
> 4.72 (the version for Solaris 2.5.1; I did not find a version for
Solaris
> 2.6) and installed it easily, but (!), it does not want to run! it
> complains that it cannot access the screen!  How do you allow it to
access
> the screen?
>
> - I discovered still another problem when I tried to use the internal
> modem!  I issued the command "tip modem", the machine did a "file synch
> operation" and informed me that I needed to run "fsck" which I did; I
had
> to correct some number that had to be 1 and was 2.
> After rebooting the machine, I was able to run the sequence 'tip modem
> atdtxxxxxxx';  when the machine connected, I could not read the
response;
> I believe, the number of bits and parity may have been set incorrectly.
> But I could not determine how to set these.  There was a mention of some
> config files in "man tip" but no indication of the format required to
> enter the data in these files that must be created because they do not
> exist.
> Subsequently, I issued the command "~." to supposedly disconnect.  But I
> could not get the prompt back ... so I killed the console.  WHEN I TRIED
> TO RUN "tip" AGAIN THE MACHINE DECIDED TO RESYNCH THE FILES AGAIN; I
again
> had to run fsck  and reboot!
>
> - I went to the MicroCenter store and tried to find a book that would
> explain some of the subtleties of UNIX.  After looking at a dozen or so
> books, I came to the conclusion that UNIX instruction books were written
> for people who already know UNIX and not for those who want to learn
UNIX
> without the help of a third party.  Can any one suggest a book that
> contains instruction on how to do things rather than talk profusely
about
> them without showing how to use them!
>
> Oscar Farah
>
> Oscar.G.Farah at census.gov wrote:
> >
> > HELP!
> >
> > 1.  When using Linux or Windows 2000, I can press the up button and
> recall
> > previous commands; this is very useful to me since I am a lousy
typist.
> > Can you do that with UNIX on a 3XP??
>
> Keep in mind Solaris isn't Linux.  A lot of GNU utilities come
> preinstalled with Linux.  These don't come with Solaris, but you can
> download them.
>
> What you're looking for is bash or tcsh.  Go download and install these
> from www.sunfreeware.com, and get them for the correct
> version of Solaris that you're running.
>
> They'll be in compressed Sun Package format, so you'll have to have gzip
> first.
>
> For example if you have  downloaded bash-2.0-Sol26-sparc.pkg.gz
> type in gzip -d downloaded bash-2.0-Sol26-sparc.pkg.gz  Which will
> uncompress the package to bash-2.0-Sol26-sparc.pkg
>
> You can then install it with pkgadd -d bash-2.0-Sol7-sparc.pkg
>
> It should show up as /usr/local/bin/bash
>
> You'll have to edit /etc/passwd to switch your default shell to bash,
but
> be careful when you type in the path or you won't be able
> to log in.  Also you shouldn't switch the root account to use bash.
Switch