[SPARCbook] OS Upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6

The Archimage sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 7 07:44:09 CST 2000

> Your CD-ROM needs to be Sun bootable, so check the Sun CD-ROM FAQ (linked off of www.sunhelp.org) for pointers, in
> genral, and y Sun-badged drive should be fine, as should almost any Plextor SCSI drive you can find.
>
> As for OS, I have been very happy with the functionality of my 3GX with 64 Meg RAM and (whopping) 6.4Gig HD running
> Solaris 2.6 with the Sun Cluster Patch, Tadpole tools, and then the Tadpole Patches, as described on Hugo's FAQ for
> the SPARCbook, again, linked off of www.sunhelp.org. Where to get a Solaris 2.6 CD-ROM, well, that is tough - there
> were many shipped under the Sun "free" Solaris offering, but that release is no longer available, if you have no
> other choice, try eBay. But first check with everyone you know to make sure thay can't loan you or make a copy of
> the CD-ROM for your install. As I understand the current license, if you simply apply for a (truely) free license,
> then you are allowed to use someone elses media and still be 100% legit. The $75 charge from sun is for
> media/shipping Solaris, but that will only get you Solaris 2.7 or maybe 8 now...
>
> HTH,
>
> Ken

I thought I remebered hearing that you could order "replacement" media
from sun, with older revs of Solaris on it.  I think the recommended
version of Solaris for the SB is 2.6, release date 5/98.  That's what I
am running, and I am very happy w/it.
                     --=-- Thomas Cameron --=--
     Red Hat Certified Engineer --=-- TurboLinux Certified Trainer
                --=-- Certified NetWare Engineer --=--
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer --=-- Microsoft Certified Trainer