[SPARCbook] Requiem for a Sparcbook (parts for sale)

Rich Lafferty rich at alcor.concordia.ca
Sun Apr 30 17:57:07 CDT 2000

It's dead, Jim.

Okay, so I've given up on my poor little 3GX which died of unknown
causes about six months ago, but that I haven't had time to pay any
attention to since then. Tadpole wants $350 to open the box and
think about what might be wrong, and considerably more to repair it
(since they suspect it's a bad motherboard).

So, I've got a parts machine. Display worked last time the machine
worked, so if you need a spare display, here it is. Ditto for
keyboard. Other than that, I've really no idea what works and what
doesn't; when it was put away it was complaining of watchdog resets,
and now it doesn't even have the energy to complain about that, it
just sits there like a brick (a stylish, magnesium brick, but a brick
nonetheless).

So, then, dissecting the cadaver, i.e. FOR SALE:

 1 Sparcbook 3GX, no HD, no memory, doesn't boot. Display and keyboard
   working last time the machine did, but since I can't test, this is
   completely as-is. Comes with two batteries; one works, the other of
   questionable quality (but easily disassembled! this was my "how can
   I build another battery" battery.)

   I've also got the SCSI floppy and case, the power supply, the
   parallel cable, and the AUI cable; anyone wanting the machine for
   parts can also grab those, but if you just need one of those four
   things, get in touch.

   There's a slim cordura case, as well.

 1 extra slim cordura case. (They sent me two.)

 1 1.2GB IBM 2.5" hard drive. This *does* work, there's an install of
   Solaris 2.5.1 plus some stuff I was using at the time, but you'll
   probably want to start fresh anyhow.

 1 260MB PCMCIA CallunaCard HD. Again, known to work six months ago
   but no way to test.

(I'm keeping my modem, keyboard, and trackball for other machines. :-)

Best offer for all. Please reply to me, not to the list. If I get
someone who only wants a keyboard *and* someone who only wants a
display, then I'll part it out, but otherwise the carcass comes as a
package. :-)

I'd also be interested in hearing recommendations as to what sort of
Intel laptop would be generally equivalent to the 3GX from the
perspective of a user who didn't do much technical work on it; again,
that's probably best off-list. :-)

Cheers,

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services