[SPARCbook] Which 2.5" IDE 6gb+ disks work well in 3GX?

Bob Krzaczek boba at cis.rit.edu
Tue Apr 25 13:19:32 CDT 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Sunder wrote:
; I'm checking it out now....  Dirtcheap drives has Toshiba 6gb ATA-4 disks for
; $159 or so, but they're 9.5mm, which means they won't fit without padding. :(
; I'll look around some more.  Not sure if they'll work, but the price is very
; good... :)

Hmm... I'm fairly certain (I'm running it right now, so I'm not going to
open it up and check ;-) that the *drive* was one of the newer slim
drives.  With the converter attached to it, it was rather close to a
traditional thickness notebook drive.  In any event, a good enough fit.
(Tadpole's drive sled uses little foam rubber feet on the drive to
accomodate some variation in drive sizes anyway.)

; > The 3GX still boots, sleeps, restores, and runs just fine.  It's probably
; > my imagination, but the system seems to restore from sleep faster than
;
; It could well be the IDE-SCSI connector that was the bottle neck.  I recall
;[ ... ]

Nahh... the previous drive was a 1GB IBM SCSI drive.  No converter.

; Thanks for the quick reccomendation.

No sweat; I hope you find something that works.

// boba

--
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <krz at cis.rit.edu>