[SPARCbook] Which 2.5" IDE 6gb+ disks work well in 3GX?

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Tue Apr 25 12:56:09 CDT 2000

Bob Krzaczek wrote:

> Just last week I upgraded my 3GX with a 6GB drive from MCE (Mac Components
> Engineered, <http://www.powerbook1.com/>).  I went to them because I
> previously had a 1GB drive, and therefore needed the IDE/SCSI converter;
> they're one of the few vendors selling that adapter bundled with a drive
> for less than an arm and a leg.

I'm checking it out now....  Dirtcheap drives has Toshiba 6gb ATA-4 disks for
$159 or so, but they're 9.5mm, which means they won't fit without padding. :(
I'll look around some more.  Not sure if they'll work, but the price is very
good... :)

> The 3GX still boots, sleeps, restores, and runs just fine.  It's probably
> my imagination, but the system seems to restore from sleep faster than
> before (sure, a faster drive would explain that, but I always assumed the
> SCSI controller itself on the 3GX was the bottleneck).

It could well be the IDE-SCSI connector that was the bottle neck.  I recall
reading on some website (likely powerbook1!) that the first of these beasties
were very slow.  Since you've gotten a new one and a new IDE disk, that would
explain the speed up.

> Anyway, that drive is a winner in my book.  You can get it (MCE calls it
> the "MobilStor 6400SCSI") for $400; a little pricey for 6GB, but not a bad
> deal when you add in the SCSI/IDE converter.  It works well, no problems
> yet, so I'll recommend it.
>
> About the only oddity is that the drive has some interesting idle
> characteristics; being a touch louder than the old 1GB IBM, you can
> actually hear it as it randomly seeks around during idle periods.  Cute.

I can live with noise.  It's good in some ways as you can tell when its
swapping without having to run vmstat. :)

> Good luck...

Thanks for the quick reccomendation.

--
 + ^ +  Sunder              "Only someone completely distrustful of   /|\