[SPARCbook] MHz

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Mon Apr 10 17:12:34 CDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Do you really hope to save that much power with a slower CPU, or does
> your system just seem "too fast!"

Nope, more of an obsession to be able to use it for a little longer (doing
trivial tasks-- not kernel compiles) before it heats up to the point where
I start to worry about it. Power consumption is not an issue, I try to
keep the internal battery above 80% all the time, and it's usually plugged
into the AC adaptor anyway. But when I don't have a good fan to blow on it
(like when I'm at school) it tends to run a little hot after only
20-30mins.

> The answer is in the earlier quote (Help processor has the LCD status
> display, as well as the CPU-ID information). Older SPARCs, like your LX
> have BootPROMS that have CPU-ID info stored in them, backed by a
> built-in battery.

Okay, thanks. That clears that question up.

> HTH,
>
> Ken
> n2vip at bellatlantic.net

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  OpenBSD 2.6 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -