[SPARCbook] Backing up Solaris Install CD.

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Sun Apr 9 22:01:33 CDT 2000

Hey Petro.

There are audio-CD repair kits out there that basically consist of a
polish, fill in the scratches with a clear plastic gunk, and repolish
stages.

Do this, then make a CDR copy of the CD - make sure you use some sort of
image copy (one that does sector by sector, not one that uses files.)

You can also troll ebay for Solaris 2.6 media.  There's quite a bit out
there for cheap. :)  For example this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=302707904

Right now it's at $50.

In the worst case, contact me privately, I have 2.6.  If you mail me your
scratched up original, plus a prepaid CD MAILER made out to you and a good
quality blank CDR (not CDRW), I'll copy my 2.6 on your blank and return it
to you along with the scratched up one.  (I want to make sure that you
really do own 2.6 before making a copy of it for you - I don't have any
magic way to repair scratched CD's, so that way it's all nice and legal.)

Always nice to help out a fellow sparcbook owner, and a cpunk to boot.

See you back on cpunx. :)