[SPARCbook] a couple more almost FAQs

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Sat Apr 8 23:00:24 CDT 2000

Hi,

Here are some things that people might find useful.  They might be
FAQ-worthy.

The first might only apply to Solaris-2.6 and above, while the second
should apply to all versions.

q: After installing a larger drive in my SPARCBook, the system
   fails to resume and falls back to the boot prompt with a message
   about a short read accessing .CPR on sd at 3,0:g, or similar.

a: The cprboot bootstrapper has some sort of limit to how far into the
   disk the .CPR system state file may be.  This is easist to solve by
   booting normally (see question #__) , changing the path to the statefile
   in /etc/power.conf, then running pmconfig.  Assuming you partitioned your
   disk with a small root filesystem, then a /var filesystem on the b
   partition, /var/.CPR would be a good choice.

q: Whenever I try to boot, resume fails with an error message which suggests
   booting normally.  How do I force the machine to boot normally after a
   failed resume?

a: At the rom monitor prompt, do a reset command, then while the Sparcbook
   banner is displayed enter pause-a to interrupt the sequence. Then,
   type "create  no-restore?" and enter. Then type "boot disk", and the
   machine will boot normally instead of doing a resume.

   The trick here is to do a pause-a while the banner is displayed,
   otherwise the "create no-restore?" will have no effect.

Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)