[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 2 problems, was RE: Hello All

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 3 00:14:22 CDT 2000

At 12:53 PM 4/3/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>> I used to have a 3GX awhile back, but sold that (had problems).
>>
>Not as many as you're about to have.  ;)
>
>> I now have a SPARCbook 2, but am having problems installing Solaris 2.3B
Tadpole edition.
>The SPARCbook 2 doesn't use Sun Openboot (or Tadpole's attempt at it), but
>instead the ghastly Tadpole Boot Monitor.  You're probably not going to
>get away with installing Solaris 2.3, atleast not without some serios
>kernel hacking.

Ouch.  How much kernel hacking?

>> I have it setup for a network install on my SS2, but I get an error
after the kernel starts running
>> as follows:
>>
>> SunOS Release 5.3 Version B.0 [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
>> Copyright (c) 1983-1993, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>> Copyright (c) 1992-1994, Tadpole Technoloy PLC.
>I'm supprised you got this far.

So am I.  Where does it usually crash?

>> Cannot assemble drivers for /obia/dvc at 3,f2fff800/spc at 3,80000000/sd at 1,0:a
>> Cannot mount root on /obia/dvc at 2,80000000/sd at 1,0:a fstype ufs
>These are Openboot devices; they don't exist in Tadpole Boot Monitor.
>Tadpole Boot Monitor refers to them as sd0a, sd1a, etc.

So would I need to change this info in the kernel?  How hard is doing so?

>> vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
>> panic: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
>> vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
>> Press SPACE to reboot ..rebooting...
>Okay, so I'll try to reboot.  Just let me communicate with the hardware in
>this SPARCbook 3...

Hmmm...  If this doesn't really work on the SB2, then why does Tadpole mention
both the SB1 and SB2 in the manual for Solaris 2.3?  Doesn't make sense to
me...

>AGH!

Uh, yeah.

>> : Data fault

<snip>

>> Press SPACE to reboot...

Would anyone here have a copy of Solaris 1.1.1B in this case?