[SPARCbook] Changing Window Managers?

Michael Lorenz ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Dec 31 05:03:04 CST 1999

Greetings !

> Since I really loathe CDE,  am used to using other window managers on
> other systems, and CDE is a kinda  mememory hog (which makes a difference
> on a 32MB 3GX) , I'd like to change window
> managers to something lightweight but cofigurable like ICEwm. aewm or
> blackbox.  Thing is, I don't know know how to change the window manager on
> a non-BSD/Linux machines.  Is there a Howto somewhere on this?  I know
> this isn't a strictly a sparcbook question, but since it is on my
> sparcbook I'm having this problem, I figured I'd give you all a
> shout.

Under Solaris you do it exaclyl like under Linux/*BSD, you put an own .xinitrc
into your home directory.the only difference is, that under Solaris you don't
have a /usr/X11 directory but somewhere there exists a systam xinitrc (witout
the leading dot ) then you just have to remove the dt* files from your rc2.d
directory ( they should be copies or links to the files under /sbin/init.d )
to prevent dtlogin from starting. You can uninstall the whole CDE with
swmtool... just keep the Motif runtime and Headers, you never know when you
may want to compile a Motif application or just use Netscape...
Then install your favorite window manager, place it into your .xinitrc and run
openwin...

OK, the more simple method is to place your wm in $WINDOWMANAGER in your
.profile. But I think you still have to trash dtlogin.

Even under Solaris X11 is just X11, they only put the files in different
places. Link /usr/X11 to /usr/openwin and you will feel much more at home.

bye
Michael