[SPARCbook] Changing Window Managers?

patl at phoenix.volant.org patl at phoenix.volant.org
Thu Dec 30 13:16:21 CST 1999

On 30-Dec-99 at 09:21, jea (jea at altstatt.com) wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> To Select a non-default window manager, set the environmental variable
> OW_WINDOW_MANAGER=your-desired-window-manager. I do this in ~/.login .
>
> I use the command line login, rather than the CDE login screen,
> as I haven't yet found the right file to change to make this
> proceedure work from there.

man dtlogin  (Or, since your SPARCbook probably doesn't have man
pages installed, if you don't have another Solaris 2.5.1 machine
to read man pages on, you can grovel around at http://docs.sun.com/)

NOTE that I haven't actually tried adding a non-standard window/session
manager; and that the following info is from Solaris7, not 2.5.1.

You should be able to add new 'session types' to the Login Window
Session Menu.  It looks like the expected method would be to create
a /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources.d/Xresources.<wm> file for each new
window/session manager.  (You may need to replace 'C' with your locale
if you aren't using the C locale.)  You can copy Xresources.ow and
modify the values.  Use the same resource names - the presence of
the altDtsIncrement resource causes uniquification.)  You may also
have to create a /usr/dt/config/Xsession.<wm> file for your window/
session manager.

-Pat