[SPARCbook] buzzing noise from ac power supply

nm nmanisca at vt.edu
Wed Dec 29 18:41:41 CST 1999

"E. Keith Howick, Jr." wrote:

> Actually this can work. Personally I'd prefer to find something that's buffering the
> output with a transformer (DC-to-DC converter) rather than using a rectifier or bridge
> to simply step the voltage down. Make sure you find something that produces *exactly*
> the voltage your sparcbook transformer produces and at least the current output
> (between 1X and 1.8X the current rating is OK). Both voltage and current should be
> specified on the sparcbook's power supply.
>
> I'm sorry that I don't have a product recommendation for you.
>
> -Keith

Thanks Keith.

I may get up the guts and try this.  I am worried because I doubt the
SB3GS itself
has much in the way of a filter or buffer inside of it, I bet that it
pretty
much assumes that what it receives is exactly what it wants.  Where as I
know that
the little AC power pack for the SB3GS knows that it doesn't always get
what it wants
but that it might get what it needs (Stones reference intended).  If I
thought I
could fix it if it breaks I would be much more inclined to test out the
DC to DC
converter... until then... no laptop in the car for me :(

Nick