[SPARCbook] Want to buy/fix: Sparcbook 3GS/3GX (internal power / backlight)

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Tue Dec 21 11:26:08 CST 1999

Sunder wrote:

> I don't claim at all that this will help you fix it, but it sounds suspiciously
> like a diode bridge having one of it's four diodes broken.  I had that happen

Silly me. This is what a diode bridge looks like:

  -               AC
   \              /
    +----|<]-----+
    |            |
    |            |
    -            -
    V            A
    -            -
    |            |
    |            |
  AC               +

The -[>|- symbols are diodes. :)  Usually the bridge is drawn as a diamond,
but, it's hard to do that in ASCII.  So rotate it about 45 degrees in your
mind. :)

Where you'd attach + and - at opposite corners of the AC input.  The DC output
would probably get fed into a voltage regulator and some more circuitry likely
containing a big capacitor to remove the 60Hz humm and clean it up a bit,
etc...  (I may have mixed up the +/- in the above, it's been a while...)