[SPARCbook] successful drive upgrade report

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Mon Dec 20 22:51:57 CST 1999

Hi,

I was fortunate enough to have a 2GB drive and the IDE-SCSI card in the
carrier for my SPARCBook-3GX, so was able to upgrade to an 8.19 GB IBM
drive.  The replacement drive is an IBM TravelStar DCXA-208100.  After
replacing the drive I did an install of Solaris-2.6 5/98, then applied
the latest 2.6_Recommended patch cluster, the Tadpole packages, and the
Tadpole patches.

The only wrinkle I ran into was that after suspending the system,
the cpr resume would fail with a "short read" trying to access
/export/home/.CPR.  My guess is there is some limitation with how far
into the disk the cprboot process is able to access.  The solution
was to modify /etc/power.conf to use /var/.CPR for the statefile, then
run pmconfig.

I had a lot of trouble forcing the system to do a normal boot so I
could fix the problem, since neither the procedure in the cpr(7) man
page nor the instructions in my rather old SPARCBook manual worked.
To get the system to boot normally to fix the .CPR location problem
I ended up booting from cdrom and replacing the /.cpr_config file.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to boot the system normally when cpr
fails to resume, I'd be interested in the answer.

-Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)