[SPARCbook] Re: Overclocking 3GS

E. Keith Howick, Jr. keith.howick at siliconmetrics.com
Fri Dec 17 13:44:49 CST 1999

Actually, no more juice is needed. Overclocking a CPU is an issue of internal parasitic capacitance and MOS breakdown voltages as the
temperature goes up. If the process happened to keep the capacitance down and the breakdown voltage high for that chip, you can get
away with overclocking (to an extent). What increases the temperature is the increase in the clock frequency (more "high-voltage" time
per second).

I've overclocked PCs, some work, some don't. You will bring the reliability (i.e., lifespan) of the CPU down and the older the CPU when
you overclock the faster it dies. Personally, I don't overclock anything that's expensive or hard to replace.

-Keith