[SPARCbook] Overclocking 3GS (was: Reviving a Dead SparcBook 3GS - stuck booting)

patl at phoenix.volant.org patl at phoenix.volant.org
Thu Dec 16 16:09:18 CST 1999

On 15-Dec-99 at 20:25, Barry A. Dobyns (barry at dobyns.com) wrote:
> Well, I was just thinking, I have the 3GS (85MHZ) and I know that the 3GX
> (110Mhz) is basically the same guts with a faster CPU daughter card.  So
> if I only cranked up the clock to 110Mhz, same as the 3GX, I wouldn't be
> exceeding any design limits in the system.

Are you sure?  Does the 110MHz module run hotter than the 85MHz one?
Or do the CPUs actually run at about the same temperature at their
rated speeds?  Personally, I wouldn't count on the 85MHz module staying
in thermal spec at 110MHz.  I would also be wary of the 'basicly' in
'basicly the same'.  Can you be certain that none of the changes are
related to improving heat dissipation or hardening components against
thermal stress?

-Pat