[SPARCbook] Overclocking 3GS (was: Reviving a Dead SparcBook 3GS - stuck booting)

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Thu Dec 16 15:56:40 CST 1999

Hi All,

Just observations, I don't make processors, so feel free to tell me if
it looks like I just just pulling facts out of the bit bucket.  anyway..

It seems that Intel has made a lot of people figure that the only
difference between chips of different clock speeds is a little wire or
jumper of some sort.  This is true for some current processors, from
Intel and others.  However, this is not the only difference.  AMD is
currently shipping out a bunch of x86 processors, if you take a look at
their web site, you'll see that the new 750MHz Athlons are using a new
"0.18 micron technology".  They had to develop this in order to make the
processors go faster, they couldn't just toss a jumper on a 500MHz and
expect it to be sane and well.. not melt.

Just an observation from a guy who works with PC's because he lives in
an 'unenlightened' community, where Unix doesn't pay the bills.
-Jonathan