[SPARCbook] Reviving a Dead SparcBook 3GS - stuck booting

Barry A. Dobyns barry at dobyns.com
Wed Dec 15 13:47:32 CST 1999

Well, I'm glad you're all congratulating yourselves over your converging diagnosis.

Until I've actually repaired this and confirmed that the PROM or whatever is indeed the broken part, I'm certainly not celebrating.
A SparcBook is not an IPX (the basis for the original diagnosis) - and just because it was the PROM in your IPX doesn't prove
conclusively that that's what is wrong here.

However it's not as obvious to me how to "replace the PROM" or for that matter "the NVRAM" on a SparcBook.  I've done it on a
Sparc1, 1+, 10 and Classic - and it's easy there to open it up and find the right part.

New info - I swapped the HDD out of the dead 3GS and into a good 3GS, and the HDD is good and bootable.

By watching the status LCD very carefully on the good 3GS, I note that the point at which the bad 3GS dies is right before the main
LCD is powered up on the good 3GS.

Maybe I'll disassemble the bad one and see what I can find.

-sigh.  still sad.