[SPARCbook] Need Supplies

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Sat Dec 11 15:05:26 CST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, E. Keith Howick, Jr. wrote:

> I'm looking for two items for my 3GX. I need:
>
>     - An AUI-to-Sparcbook conversion cable

Some addresses are suggested in the FAQ:

6. What kind of connectivity does the Sparcbook3 have?

   Last change: 19991015

   14.4 fax/modem builtin (not upgradable), ISDN (needs a NT1 to work)
   and 10mbps ethernet (which needs a special cable to go to a AUI
   interface on the 3GX).

   The AUI (Attachment Unit Interface) cable is identical as the one used
   by other Sparc systems like the Sparc5, Sparc10 and Sparc LX. For most
   networks you need a transceiver to connect to an existing 10base-T
   (UTP) or 10base-2 (coax) network and these transceivers can be bought
   in any good computer hardware store.

   These cables can be quite expensive if you can't find the proper
   place. A few suggestions to find them are:

     *
          + Tadpole
          + P/N 908030
          + $75.00
     *
          + Ultraspec Cables, Inc.
            40 Riordan Place
            Shrewsbury, NJ 07702-4305
            USA
            Tel: 1-800-222-5337 (USA only) Tel: x-1-(732)-450-1900
            www.ultraspec.com
          + Slimline D26M to D15 (AUI Only) AUI Cables for SPARCstation
            Models 4, 5, 10 & 20, SPARCclassic & LX Ethernet port adaptor
            Cable (#2610) - 1 foot
          + $52.00
     *
          + A-1 Net Inc.
            135 Commerce Way
            Walnut, CA 91789
            USA
            Tel: x-1-(909)595-0450 FAX: x-1-(909)594-7617
          + Sun Micro SPARC 10 / AUI SUN-615F 6' HDB26M to AUI DB15F
          + $18.00

   The SUN partnummer is X981A. The 'A-1 Net Inc.' may be the cheapest
   solution yet. But keep shipping costs in mind.

   An AUI to Thinnet (10base-2) or AUI to UTP (10base-T) transceiver
   could be bought in any decent computershop. A lot of shops may charge
   you amounts that may be stunningly high. So it's well worth to
   checkout multiple shops before rushing for one.

 - A copy of the OS distribution disk originally shipped with the laptop

There is a price tag attached. As Tadpole needs to pay Sun for the
licenses. I doubt they were ever shipped with a CD. (I got mine still all
wrapped up and it didn't have one. And it's was not on the shipping list
Tadpole provided.)

So you need to buy it from TadPole.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!