[SPARCbook] Modem problem

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Sun Dec 5 09:32:06 CST 1999

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Steve Conley wrote:

> I got my PCMCIA modem working, my US robotics 56k...
>
> However, I experience "fadeouts" of my ppp connection.  IE, pppd is
> still running, ifconfig -a shows a ppp0 interface, but pinging the IP
> on the other side of the ppp link times out.  I have to kill pppd and
> reload, it's like it's not noticing something got hung up.

Sounds your card is too fast. Note that original specification for serial
devices would not let you work above 9600 bps.

Somehow the PCMCIA driver is not able to handle things very well.

I would advise to lower the speed to 14k4 and speed it up bit by bit too
see how it handle things.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!