[SPARCbook] Modem problem

Steve Conley tanabi at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 4 23:06:48 CST 1999

Hey everyone :-)

I got my PCMCIA modem working, my US robotics 56k...

However, I experience "fadeouts" of my ppp connection.  IE, pppd is
still running, ifconfig -a shows a ppp0 interface, but pinging the IP
on the other side of the ppp link times out.  I have to kill pppd and
reload, it's like it's not noticing something got hung up.

My modem link is dedicated, and it works fine for extended periods (ie,
days) on other machines.

This seems to only happen during heavy use (if I leave it idle, the line
stays up)

This happened more frequently when I had the serial line speed for the
modem set to 56k, it happens less now that I bumped it to 33.6.  Anyone
know anything about this kind of problem?

And look, it happened again right as I tried to send this email ;-)  My
I hate it, you never know when it's happening.

See ya,

Steve