[rescue] CCMP as furniture, was Re: Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Wed Jan 9 08:05:35 CST 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Steven M Jones wrote:

> On 01/08/2019 20:14, Richard wrote:
>> I used to have 2x Sun386i as the legs for a coffee table. Also used a 3/260
>> and a 4/260 as the ends of a desk that also heated the room....good times
>
> Ha! Sortof wish I had one of those Road Runners...
>
> I currently have a MicroVAX 3300 at one end of a living room sofa, and a
> Sun (Ultra) Enterprise 450 at the other. (There is an ADM-3A atop the
> Sun, courtesy John Floren - thanks again, John!) Sadly, neither of them
> is being used for heating/computing purposes /at the moment/...

The first Suns that I picked up, a dual cabinet 4/460 (CPU and disk) and a
dual cabinet 4/260, I had spotted because they were used as table legs
(they were using a door as the top) at an ISP. I'd managed to wangle a
tour of their 'datacentre' and while being shown around the rest of the
office I'd spotted them. The table was used for sorting their accounting
papers.

I managed to convince them (not too hard, to be honest) that if I'd buy a
suitable replacement table they'd let me have the Suns. In the end I
walked away with the 4/460, and two entire 4/260 systems, each with two
disk cabinets (for a total of eight cabinets). Which I then transported in
a Toyota Starlet hatchback back to my house, with my friend sitting in the
back holding the hatch closed because I didn't keep a bungee on me.

I haven't quit collecting Suns since (since my original thread is a U5
that front-ends a E10k), obviously. I dunno man, there's just something
about the Suns. And the SGIs. And the DECs. And... oh god. Moving on.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'm going to carve out some time to see how
Qemu works this week. (And tear into my non-bootable U5 and see if I can
repair it)

  - JP