[rescue] reading old unix disks from Linux

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 26 12:24:51 CDT 2019

Simh and the like are your friends.    I would only use Linux, MacOS or any
other Unix to grab the entire disk image as a raw byte stream.    Then run an
emulated system such as a simh instance of the native machine that created it.
In the case of solaris you ran run Solaris x86 to mount the sparc images.
Similar AIX PS/2 (386) can read the 370 and romp based disk images.    HPUX
might be more difficult but you might ask the HP folks in the simh world -
they have a MPE running but I donbt know about the other OS.

Tru64 can be read on FreeAXP if you donbt gave access to real hw.  I will
say I have moved scsi disks between my FreeBSD/OpenBSD system and my Alpha

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.