[rescue] UTF-8 [was what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Mar 28 12:04:52 CDT 2018

>>> Even xterm supports UTF-8 encoding...

"xterm" is not a single thing.  Some versions of xterm do, perhaps.

>>> I presume a modern copy of that will compile on just about any
>>> classic UNIX-y OS.

That might even be true.  But, even if it is, xterm still lacks much
that my terminal emulator provides.  Perhaps the most significant is
multi-display (and no-display) support, but there are others (such as,
as of last time I looked, which admittedly was a while ago, correctly
working wrap, a blinking cursor, and Mac-style pointer hiding).

I've considered trying to add some form of Unicode support to mine.
Perhaps someday I'll find the round tuits, but it is not a high
priority for me.  (I'd also need Unicode fonts; something is wrong with
either the iso10646 fonts I have or the X server I have, because they
do not work together.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org