[rescue] UTF-8 [was what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV]

John Floren john at jfloren.net
Wed Mar 28 11:00:44 CDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:07 AM, Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org> wrote:

> >> Again, the use of an archaic or broken version of mailman to run the
> >> mailing list is a choice.
> > I was about to just blindly defend Mr. Bill, our very gracious host
> > here, but I figured I better do some fact checking before I stick my
> > foot into my mouth.  [...research...]
>
> Also, the "Everybody can run software that is able to deal with these
> decades-old standards" is at least a little disingenuous.  It's a
> little like replying to "I don't have any way to run SPARC code" with
> "Everybody can get a SPARC or install an emulator".
>
> Yes, I probably could, I don't know, install a Windows box or
> something, and thereby get UTF-8 and Unicode support.  That does not
> make UTF-8-encoded Unicode suitable for everyone!

I've got some Plan 9 install images if that'll help, they've supported
native UTF-8 since 1993 or so :)

(personally I find Apple's insistence of changing regular quotes to
typographic quotes pretty stupid, but not as stupid as GMail's
continued attempts to switch over to HTML mode whenever it thinks it
can get away with it, grr)

john