[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 11:43:25 CDT 2018

On 28 March 2018 at 18:15, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> Above is how all your messages look.  If you truly care about "proper
> typography", then you don't want to look like a dufus that keeps
> typing b^Y all the time, do you?

This.

I do not object to judicious use of Unicode or extended ANSI
characters where they convey info. Sometimes it's useful to say "I
have 4 C 300GB disks" or 3B=" vs. 5B<" floppies or that it's 7B0C today.

But curly quotes add nothing meaningful at all. As a journo I am
strictly forbidden from using them by all my editors ever, because
they don't transmit safely and they are the job of the people doing
layout to get right, not mine.

Using curly quotes in email is basically intentionally turning your
mails into alphabet soup unless you're directly contacting someone
else using the same platform, and it may not work then.

Also, they are not international. French uses B+guillemetsB;. Czech
quotes, where I live, look like ,,this`` -- the opening ones are at
the bottom and the closing ones at the top, and what I as a Brit
consider opening and closing are reversed.

IOW Anglophone conventions do not translate internationally and are
actively obfuscatory.

It is not merely foolish and wrong to use them, it is _rude_.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com