[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 11:48:45 CDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 08:21:42PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 26 March 2018 at 20:15, Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net> wrote:
>> Really itb s one of the best system for running late-68000-era Mac software:
> I don't know if you know, but your email client is sending (lower-case b,
> space) instead of (apostrophe). It makes reading your reply difficult!

This looks very much like UTF-8 that has been mangled by an intemediate
mailserver that is not 8 bit clean and is silently corrupting mail in transit.
There's no excuse for running such a server in 2018; it's no longer an
ASCII-only world. The immediate suspect is the mailing list software, since
mailman is rather long in the tooth.

[Testing a few different characters to see what, if anything, gets broken in
this message. ISO-8859-1: 'B#', ISO-8859-15: 'b,', Windows-1252: 'b', Unicode
within BMP: 'b', Unicode outside BMP: 'p<'.]

> This is a common problem with iOS and smart quotes.
> http://micro.cagrimmett.com/2017/09/08/how-to-turn-off-curly-quotes-in-ios-11

That's a fix for a subtly different problem, where the mail client is silently
corrupting messages before they're sent. Occasionally one actually intends to
use smartquotes; but they sometimes break things because some mail clients use
Windows-1252 encoding to save a few bytes over UTF-8, but mark as
charset="us-ascii" or omit charset completely. I tested how well desktop
Mail.app handles encodings a while back, and it does get it right. The iOS mail
client is a sadistic joke, and I recommend only using it in an emergency.