[rescue]  Re: SPARCclassic restoration

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Wed Mar 28 04:51:46 CDT 2018

He folks

A bit of an update.

So replaced the final 2 capacitors tonight but still not much further on.

with the HDD disconnected the PSU doesn't fire up (no fan)
with the original HDD the PSU fires up but the machine only boots as far as
testing memory then powers off.
with an alternate HDD the PSU fires up and the machine boots to the OK prompt
and I have been able to reset the idprom at . However on boot from the HDD the
machine powers off.
with a second older alternate HDD the machine wont even power up.

So some research found the very good  Switch Mode Power Supply FAQ.

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpsmcp

Based on the above and the comments in the most common problems I suspect that
the over current sensing part of the supply has an issue....now to work out
where that is....

Cheers

Richard