[rescue] Ultra 1 NVram battery - WAS::::Re: FYI regarding FrameMaker 5.5

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Tue Mar 27 00:07:13 CDT 2018

Ultra 1 NVram batteries

Many lifetimes ago, I was working for a (small-to-medium) business, and at some point in that employment, my boss had somewhere
acquired a 5-foot high pile of Ultra1 && Ultra 1E systems.   Had plenty of drives, and spare drives, and their memory was maxed out.

We had plans to use these internally for DNS servers, FTP servers, etc.

All these systems had dead NVram batteries, and when booted, would come up with a MAC address of all zero's, otherwise, they worked
fine.  My Yahoo-Fu was off or something, as I could never find a place to purchase new NVram's for these boxes.  Also, there were
several tutorials on the Internet to cut open an existing NVRAM and add an external battery, but I wasn't interested in that either.

What worked for me was to add a shell script, in the Sys V run control scripts, I believe, /etc/rc2.d/S99somethinghere

That would add a MAC address to the ethernet interface at each boot.  This worked great, and took these (Ultra 1) system thru this
phase of their life.  Who knows where they are now, but most Sun systems rarely ever die.

No NewsPrinter experience though, sorry.

Jerry