[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 08:16:47 CDT 2018

On 24 March 2018 at 01:23, Patrick Giagnocavo <xemacs5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of these sort of dropped into my lap (figuratively speaking).

Wow. The fastest-ever 68K Mac. I was *just* too slow to get one on
Freecycle about a decade back. Always regretted it. I do like 68K Macs
a lot, and love classic MacOS.

> Anything interesting that can be done with them?

Define "interesting". By Unix standards, no. It'll run some very basic
Unix-like OS which won't use any of the hardware's special features.
It can't run A/UX, which is an interesting Unix.

It'll run some lovely classic Mac apps, still capable of productive
use, and as such, serve as a lesson in why Apple is now a
near-trillion-dollar company. The single best-designed, friendliest,
most capable GUI ever written by anyone anywhere, and not a single
text config file or command line anywhere, because it doesn't need
them. And the last 68K version, MacOS 8.1, will go like stink on an
840AV.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com