[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 07:07:05 CDT 2018

The AV in 840av Stands for 'Audio Vusual'. The line was intended as an
early Apple stab at the sound and video editting market. It is a nice piece
if architecture, and showed what could be done with a 68040 and some Fu.

The DSP3210 does indeed work (somewhat) for video acceleration, principly
because that couldn't be done with a 68k aline at the time. If you throw in
8MB of VRAM and a Spigot PowerAV card in the DSP expansion slot it'll just
about handle standard definition at 24fps in and out. It's biggest flaw is,
however, the onboard narrow SCSI II is way to slow to handle the IO
throughput of the video, so to do anything meaningful you need a FWB
Jackhammer Wide SCSI card some fast 68-pin disks, and RAID 0.

If you're interested in upspeccing it let me know, I have all the cards and
software (mine died last year, I'd had it since Uni days) but honestly it's
probably better donated to someone more interested in it's kudos as a Mac,
because it's just a bog basic 68040 Mac in a badly designed case in most
other senses.

--

Mark Benson