[rescue] manual typewriters

john jferg977 at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 14:05:38 CST 2018

When we were Sun VARS, I took a course in guerilla marketing ... no, not
selling primates.B  One of the better ideas was to discover the name of
the CEO's at marketing targets and send a hand-typed letter in a hand
typed envelope with the CEO's name, no title, and 'personal' typed on
the lower left - underlined.B  It was recommended that a Selectric not be
used, but rather a beat-up old manual, one with crooked keys.

The idea was that the result would look REALLY personal and the usual
mail interceptor would be reluctant to open it on the chance that it
really was personal.

The letter inside apologized for the hoax, and then went on to describe
how it had been done and invite a phone call to see what the sender
might do to contribute to the target company's success.

It didn't work on everyone, but on the ones to whom it was either funny
or otherwise appealing, it brought us business.

But the hand typing was a little much. It was 1987 and envelopes were
already being addressed by dot-matrix printers.B  We had an old (even
then) Diablo Hytype I daisywheel printer for which I'd made an ascii to
ebcdic translator and a 110 vc power supply.

The manual typewriter effect was achieved by carving up a courier
daisy-wheel with a razor blade and bending some of the petals with a
needle-nose pliers. It was veery convincing.

Along with the Sun equipment we sold by this means, we sold two revived
Diablos with our custom daisywheels.

One other idea which came out of that course was NEVER to put a title on
your calling cards, especially if it might have been "President".B
No-one is impressed to meet the president of a ten person shop.

If your card says President it is a lot harder to modify anything you
have committed to in person.B  If it says "Sales" and you come to your
senses when you get back to the office, you can call the client, and
tell him/her that you can offer them a different combination of benefits
but not exactly what you discussed, because the boss won't bless it.

Besides, if you are really impressive, the client will assume you come
from a really class outfit. If a sales person can be that good, the
officers must be incredible.