[rescue] Sun type 101a keyboard - where did Sun use this?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 04:06:11 CDT 2018

Hi Jerry

A quick Google on the part nos shown 320-1070 is pretty short on info, but has
options of mini din and DB15 which I would guess puts it Sun 4 era?

Never had one here that I remember.

Peter

Sent from my iPad

> On 30 Jun 2018, at 07:11, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:
>
> So a few weeks ago, I spilled a glass of pop in my Oracle type 7 USB
keyboard at $HOME, and, after I figure out I'm past the point of recovery, I'm
surfing Amazon looking for a replacement type 7 USB Unix keyboard.

> Amazon, IMHO, has one of the worst (internal) search engines I've ever used,
and more often than not, just turns up pages of all kinds of stuff, none of it
related to my search.

> Anyway, my search turned up a hit for a Sun type 101a keyboard, and, when
initially discovered, did not have an actual picture, it had some generic
black keyboard.  A search for Sun type 101a keyboards really didn't turn up
anything, aside from the originating Amazon advertisement, so I wrote a note
to the seller requesting he post some pictures.

> My personal knowledge of Sun keyboards are limited to type 3 thru type 7,
and their variants.

> A few days later, the seller added some actual pictures of the keyboard.
Here is the actual advertisement, now with pics:

> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045702JS?ref_=pe_623860_70668690_dpLink>
>
> Interesting pictures.  Aside from the Sun logo, it doesn't look like any Sun
keyboard I've ever encountered.  that whole dual row of 11 keys on the left
side of the keyboard are missing.

> Regarding the connector, if this was an early keyboard, one that was well
before my time, I would have expected a 9-pin serial connector.  The picture
is too dark for me to make out, but I suspect that the (round) connector is
not a PS/2, but the 8-pin DIN connector used by Sun and Apple.

> This is all just a "shot in the dark" on my part, although I am glad that
"DreamHardWare", the seller, posted some actual pictures. I'm in need of a
Type 7, Unix, USB keyboard, and would not fulfill my needs regardless of
price.