[rescue] Thumpers?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 11:03:14 CDT 2018

Hi All

On 18 Jun 2018, at 16:56, Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 03:38:44PM +0100, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> I've always wanted one of these and to load it with SSDs. That's still a
>> few lotto tickets off. It would be a fun FreeNAS box and an awesome home
>> high-end SAN with a 10Gb ethernet card for iSCSI :D
>>
>> I remember someone saying that the drives that go into these needed
special
>> firmware. Is that true?
>
> I don't think so, I'm pretty sure I repaired the one I had with normal
> disks with zero issues.

>From memory did these boxes come from a company who Sun bought originally?
Even so it would be most unusual for a Sun box to require specific firmware,
though as in SCSI disks etc, it may be the case that 'specific' firmware is
used to give a uniform capacity over various manufacturers such as with the
SCSI drives etc. This would be especially the case for boxes like Thumper
where the main function is to RAID them.

Peter